LOGIN | E-NEWSLETTER | 
Select the search type

• Site
  • Web
Search
You are here:   Forums
Charm Quilt Fabric Exchange
Last Post 28 Apr 2008 06:51 AM by Pine Nut. 142 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 812345 > >>
Author Messages
Pine NutUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:1512
--
28 Apr 2008 06:51 AM

I was wondering if any of you quilters out there (& wannabe quilters) might be interested in an exchange of fabric squares. I have so much fabric and need to reduce my stash a little bit.

We could set up a few guidelines, like size of square, how many, pre-wash, dry & iron our fabric B4 cutting it out. Hopefully all cotton fabrics. (Sometimes a person doesn't remember after awhile tho I do always buy cotton)

If we did say, 20 squares per person who wanted to exchange?? It would be similar to a quilt block exchange but maybe easier? I would love to see all the different fabrics. I thought I would pass the idea on & see if anyone was interested.

Pine Nut’s PhotoBucket Ely. MN.
    JudymarierUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:1179 Avatar
    --
    28 Apr 2008 10:36 AM
    could be a way to get rid of some of my excess too...don't know how much I really have tho,
    until I get in my drawers and really look...lol

Judymarier Judy’s PhotoBucket
    --
    30 Apr 2008 08:56 PM
    HMMMM... no other comments on this?
    lol

--
    01 May 2008 07:03 AM
    Well, maybe no one wants to exchange, or take the time to cut out, mail the squares??? Maybe give it awhile & a few might pop up. I'd be happy to exchange with you Judy!
    jkmccnhUser is Offline Basic Member Basic Member Posts:217 Avatar
    --
    01 May 2008 07:42 AM

Sorry, I guess I missed this post. I'm not sure I understand what it is you want to do. Are you talking about exchanging fat quarters (or so) of extra fabric we have? Would it have to be the same fabric for everyone, or just so long as we send a fat quarter to each person in the swap?

I might be interested....MORE INFO PLEASE! LOL!

Never enough days in an hour!
    JKs PhotoBucket
    --
    01 May 2008 09:01 AM

We would have to decide what we wanted to exchange. A "charm quilt" is traditionally a quilt top that is made with no 2 fabrics alike. I tried making one once & after cutting out about 80 different fabrics, I gave up & decided that repeats of a fabric were OK with me. A good way to get lots of different fabrics is to do an exchange. They can be any size we want. 4-5-6" squares? I'm sure many of you have seen them for sale in the quilt stores. A bunch of squares of different fabrics all the same size in bundles. It wouldn't matter if each bundle had different fabrics...As long as they are all the same size & count.

And of course the big thing is that you would only mail to others what you would like to get yourself. I have heard that "junky" stuff has been mailed out B4...I guess in the hope that some hope to get rid of fabric they don't like or want & get some nice fabric in the process. (so rude!)

If there are enough interested, we will decide then what the guidelines will be, with everyone having some ideas/input.

--
    01 May 2008 10:15 AM

OK, count me in, it sounds like fun. As for "junk" fabric...I would never think to send something I'm not willing to use myself. How awful that someone would do that!

Janice

JKs PhotoBucket
    --
    01 May 2008 06:55 PM
    Count me in too.  but hope you don't think my fabric is junky either.  I know what you
    mean tho.

--
    01 May 2008 07:21 PM
    That's great that you 2 would like to exchange!! We'll wait a bit & see if there are any others. Does anyone have a size in mind? I have a stack that was given to me from a friend (she bought them) they are 5x5" and that seems like a nice size. how many??? How many do you think it would take to maybe make a project out of them? EXAMPLE: if there are 3 doing the exchange, and we each did 25 squares, that would be 75 squares including our own. Just throwing some thoughts out there. And if more join in...More squares.
    countrymom856User is Offline New Member New Member Posts:30
    --
    01 May 2008 08:29 PM
    Well this sounds like a wonderful idea! I haven't made a charm quilt yet, guess this is a great time to start one! Count me in on this one also!
    --
    02 May 2008 07:16 AM

That's great Countrymom! I'm getting a little excited about it. We'll give it a week or so to see if any others would like to exchange. Even if it is a small group, that is ok with me.

And also, you can use the squares for anything you desire. Nobody has to make a charm quilt...You can do anything you want with them.

--
    02 May 2008 09:31 AM

OK, so there are 4 of us so far (Pinenut, Judy, JK, Countrymom). Here's a bit of math to help us decide what size blocks to do (I apologize for any errors, I haven't had my caffein yet):

4 people X 25 blocks = 100 blocks (or a 10 X 10 block quilt top)

3 1/2 inch blocks would = 30 1/2" X 30 1/2" top (wall hanging size)

4 1/2 inch blocks would = 40 1/2" X 40 1/2" top (baby quilt size)

5 1/2 inch blocks would = 50 1/2" X 50 1/2" top (small lap quilt size)

6 1/2 inch blocks would = 60 1/2" X 60 1/2" top (lap quilt size)

Now I agree with Pine that we don't necessarily need to use the fabric for a charm quilt but I'm a "visual" person and need a "visual reference" as to how much fabric is involved at each size LOL.

JKs PhotoBucket
    --
    02 May 2008 09:42 AM
    Thanks for the math JKM! that helps us to "see" just what we might be able to do with our squares. throw in a few borders here & there & it can be bigger than that. Let's wait a bit...See if any others want to join in. And we'll decide what size to cut our squares. AND,,,all bundles of squares do not need to be exactly the same for each person you mail them to. As long as the bundle has the right amount in the right size. Maybe you only have one piece of a certain material but not enough to send to 4-5 people. That's ok. Sounds like fun!
    busynummiesUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:46
    --
    02 May 2008 10:06 AM
    Hi girls, Just saw the post, count me in. It seems as I have tunnel vision, as I go to the one post  for the sq exchange and don't look around at the others. That will teach me lol.. I have a huge stash. This will help me to get going again as I've been in a slow mode lately. I have so much stuff. And I must say I'm such a pack rat. I always I'm going to use it but just  don't get around to it. Thats what you get from working at Michael's, Jo-Anns those sales are just to tempting and I don't want things to go to waste( so I hoared it) Thinking some day!!! So if I can share I'm more than willing.
    --
    02 May 2008 03:13 PM
    Ok so heres your chance to share with us!!!  lol
    Whenever everyone is ready, just decide on what you want for size
    and I can be ready to cut away etc...lol

--
    02 May 2008 07:13 PM

Well, let's pick a size. We can all cut to our little hearts desire. But we will wait to mail them...till we know how many want to exchange? I'm fine with anything in the 6-61/2" range. We can do a majority vote???

Busynummies...You sound like me. I haven't worked at a fabric place but I used to live near a warehouse that would put all the last season's fabric on sale when the new season came around. Sounds like lots of fun to be able to pick up stuff at a good price.

--
    04 May 2008 12:57 PM
    The 61/2 size sounds good to me! I think we could start cutting now. And when the time comes count and mail them. Just to give us something to do(heee heee) When we decided how many we need part would be done.  Just a thoughtany other ides?
    --
    04 May 2008 05:33 PM
    6 1/2" squares sound fine with me. That is plenty of material to do something with. And you can also cut those squares into triangles if you choose to also. How many squares should we go with? 25??? I'm ok with whatever we decide as a group.
    --
    05 May 2008 03:05 PM
    I am game for what ever anyone else wants...25 squares  at 6 1/2 "  is good for me

--
    06 May 2008 09:53 AM

That sounds fine for me 6 1/2 sq x 25. Do we want to wait for a little while to see if any one else wants to join? Maybe their are not quilters but craft sq's can be used for so many things.

nummies
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 812345 > >>

10.180.218.245 WEB21